Thursday, November 10, 2011

the mystery of the missing mojo

(via)

I’ve been going a teensy crazy. Sitting in my cute studio, holding my man dolls which I love, and drinking tea. I ought to be tickled pink, except I'm not, really. It’s the case of the missing mojo. Again. I know I’ve talked about my mojo a lot, I whinge about it every now and then, and you really are very nice people to listen patiently. Please humour me (or go do something else. That’s ok, I don’t mind a bit, honestly.)



It’s just that my creative mojo is a finicky creature, I need to treat it gently, nurture it, and oh definitely listen to it. Or it up and goes, and I am left spending my time staring out the window/playing cards/reading a book on the couch/whinging about things to you, dear reader. Or perhaps it’s still there. Hiding in a corner with a slight petulant scowl saying NO.. in a little voice. And stamping it’s little feet. my mojo refuses to cooperate, and it becomes a struggle.



I’ve tried everything. I’ve rearranged and labeled everything in a satisfying way. I’ve bought a new lamp. I’ve brought tea and chocolate reinforcements. I even bought a little oven timer in an effort to work solidly for a block of time. I’ve thought of a gazillion reasons to want to sew; but I.don’t.want.to. I make myself and force every.stitch. Which makes me feel rubbish. After all, I have my own studio, full of materials and a nice big table and light and time; how lucky am I?

Well it turns out my mojo doesn't like being told what to do. The thought of making another doll the same as the last ones just doesn't excite.it.one.little.bit. So it's gone on strike, and I went and got a job. However, the idea of drawing my mojo for this very post made me want to stride into the studio immediately. Excitement and new ideas, this is the foodstuff of the mojo. I want to make things I have never tried, have my own exhibition of soft sculptures with pointy detailed not-suitable-for-children bits, I want to make things until I am satisfied, not until they are good enough. I want to make things for the love of it, not the money.

SO I am working hard to finish off orders, and thinking hard and carefully about my next step, and how I will coax my mojo back.

Does this happen to you?

7 comments:

Jodie said...

yes - yes to everything ...yes to making things until you are satisfied -yes to softie exhibitions (be still my beating heart) and yes to non-children friendly pointy bits.
yes to fickle mojo's and trying to trick it into cooperating.
and the biggest yes to wanting to do new things....if only I knew what the new things were....

I think you just wrote the post I need to write.

Cassie said...

happens to me ALL THE TIME. you just described me. when i'm out and about away from home i do all my planning and have wonderful visions and 'light bulb' moments regarding construction and design but as soon as i get back home it's like the energy is sucked right out of me and i don't want to do it. so i go check facebook instead. i also have a wonderful creative space with everything i need but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Unknown said...

This happens to me on occasion. My suggestion is to do something else creative until the need to want to sew returns. Maybe you can try sculpting, or draw, paint, maybe make jewelry out of buttons?

Hope my suggestion helps. ;)

http://www.curiouslittlebird.ca

Mia said...

I really like this post. I don't know how all these people you see on the web can just keep making the same thing over and over even though there is a demand for it and they should feel lucky for that. So much energy goes into creative work that in this scenario you end up feeling like a bit of a sweatshop instead. I like your exhibition idea as antidote. Good luck with the sorting things out, sounds like the solution is in there somewhere waiting to come out..:)

♥ Nadine said...

Oh boy! That sounds like a vicious circle!! I'm so sorry to hear... It's hard to give you advice on that, given the fact that you already tried everything possible.

I keep my fingers crossed for you that everything works out the best.

xo. Nadine

cintism said...

I can totally identify. My craftroom is currently uninhabitable and I know deep down that I need to clean it as I have a crafty Chistmas creation list as long as my arm but i just keep procratinating. If I can't see the table then I can't craft. I don't even feel like it. This combined with my list is leading to much anxiety on my part. I recently had to churn out a stack of items for a fundraising stall and every time I sat at the machine it jammed and beeped and tangled the thread. It was like my negative energy and resentment towards this forced creativity was running my machine.

I hope you get your mojo soon. I know it is a bit disconcerting without it. Maybe it is off on holidays with mine!

Angy is my name. said...

Uh... all the time - and I swear my mojo has a secret stash of nap pills that it slips into my tea cup. Naughty Mojo!